Tuesday, January 6, 2009

On a scale of 1 to 200

Ever wonder if it's all worth it? The sweat... The tears... The howling into the void of the job market that spits back a mountain of rejection... Well, according to the wall street journal (and a survey by careercast.com) becoming a Philosopher is the 12th best job out there. 12th best! We don't have to worry about getting our fingers chopped off (sorry Butchers)... or clean up hospital 'accidents' (sorry licensed practical nurses).

Though, I'm not entirely sure how comforting it is when Parole Officer comes in at 14, but 12/200 isn't bad.

-- Second Suitor

Update from STBJD: I'm glad that Roustabout job didn't come through this winter. I had always romanticized temporary, unskilled labor, but not anymore; turns out being a philosopher is the bee's knees. Just like I've been telling skeptical undergraduates all along!

3 comments:

Se7 said...

I *just* came here to send this very article to you...

I love how it has a convenient button for us: "Find This Job"

If only! Imagine if the APA worked like this.

Mr. Zero said...

I don't see why "mathematician" is the number 1 job, unless people who do math professionally can opt out of story problems.

Yes, I am procrastinating.

philo said...

Nice work if you can get it...