Monday, March 16, 2009

Money, it's a crime

I knew going into last semester I wasn't going to produce that much. The job market takes as much time, energy, and emotional fortitude as you have to offer. This spring's productivity is not faring much better. While I haven't applied for any fellowships/jobs that have been pulled, I'm spending all my time getting some 'proposal' ready for various forms of funding (fellowships/post-docs/jobs) rather than producing any philosophy...and next fall we're back to the job market. Sometimes it feels like I'm already stuck in the adjunct's dilemma (only thank god I'm not adjuncting while colleges make their budget cuts).

-- Second Suitor

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you.

Having to adjunct while trying to get your PhD is a real pain; my philosophy department stopped giving me teaching jobs because of the down turn. Such is the situation for a sixth year in a down turn? Sure I pay rent (and not much more), but teaching three courses while trying to write your dissertation is a joke.

Anonymous said...

just finished my diss after (i mean - despite) a year an a half of adjuncting. it's a sad joke, but can be done. don't get me wrong: it is unpleasant. and i am not exactly the most productive and efficient person around... so all i'm trying to say is - do not despair.

philo said...

This could be of interest to fellow adjuncts out there:

http://thenewfacultymajority.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

also this:

http://www.aaup.org/AAUP/issues/contingent/cocal.htm

Max said...

“Money, it’s a crime; share it fairly but don’t take a slice of my pie; money, so they say; is the root of all evil today”-Pink Floyd