Tuesday, April 14, 2009

If you want to burn yourself, remember that I love you

It's easy to get caught up in things like the horror that will be next year's job market, the open-ended always pressing project that is the dissertation and the  general lack of control over how your life will go for the foreseeable future.  That said, over the last few weeks I've had a couple opportunities to read and listen to some of my friends' developed work.  It's really been a pleasure and not just in a look-how-far-we've-come sort of way.  The work's good and interesting.  Lord knows if it'll yield jobs and publications, but it's satisfying to see people that've worked hard put out some really quality stuff.  I hope that they're taking a step back from all the bullshit so they can enjoy some good old fashioned philosophical accomplishment.

-- Second Suitor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On this note: even though I have no tenure-track job, though I do have a post-doc for the upcoming year once again(thank god), I have written what I think is some very good work in the past year, and I am finally starting to feel like I am capable of doing good worthwhile work. Of course, this feeling will last until the next time I utter something utterly stupid in public again, but it's a nice feeling to have even if it only lasts for a little while :)