Thursday, August 13, 2009

Poster boy II

A while ago, I mentioned I was doing a poster presentation. Sometime between then and now, I did it. Although there was controversy in comments over whether they are worthwhile, my poster session seemed to me to be wildly successful. I stood by myself awkwardly for about 4 minutes before I hooked my first nerd, and from then on I always had a huge crowd around me. Lots of people seemed interested, and I received a huge number of interesting and helpful questions. It was much more informal than a paper presentation would have been, but it was a much more personal interaction. And I don't know about you, but I find that verbally explaining my work to people is extremely helpful in itself. So I would say that the experience was extremely valuable. Posters are not bullshit.

I don't want to say too much about how my poster was constructed, but I will say that I followed much of the advice I received in the Poster Boy thread. There is a winning formula in there. Thanks to all who advised; my interlocutors and I are in your debt.

--Mr. Zero


Anonymous said...

I have to give a poster session in September for the first time, and I'm someone who's used to giving talks. I've been somewhat hesitant but your experience is encouraging.

Benjamin Hale said...

I was one of two faculty organizers for the RoME Congress in Boulder, Colorado. I think I speak for almost all of the participants in the poster sessions, and even those who attended the poster sessions, that the experience was overwhelmingly positive. Both of our two sessions were well attended, and everyone was a beneficiary of posters that easily could have made it onto the main program. Moreover, many of the poster presenters were given the option to comment on main program papers, which I think raised their profile among attendees. They were seen not only at their posters, but also in a main program session.

Our reasons for having a separate poster session primarily revolved around timing and space, but also around a sense that the poster presentation is actually a reasonably strong format for presenting the outlines of an argument. I invite other RoME poster participants to log on to this website and register their experiences.

We'll have pictures of the event posted soon.

Meantime, here's a link to the Congress:

Elizabeth said...

So we don't get to see your poster? (Or hear more about this "winning formula"?)

Mr. Zero said...

Dear Elizabeth,

Thanks for your interest, but sorry, no. I worry about pseudonymity.


Elizabeth said...

Fair enough. Especially since philosophy is such a tiny field!