Monday, March 15, 2010

Crossing picket lines

Fellow Smoker, KD, points our attention to this letter concerning the Pacific APA Hotel Boycott over at Feminist Philosophers. Since I'm not going to the APA, continuing my untarnished streak of having my papers denied either due to lack of quality or bureaucratic nonsense or probably both, it's easy for me to take a pro-union stance. But, I'm assuming it's a bit more difficult for those who have either already booked rooms or are presenting.

JJ, in the comments on the aforementioned post, presents some reasons why it might be difficult to honor the boycott and sign the pledge to honor the boycott here. Go take a look at both.

-- Jaded Dissertator

3 comments:

Joe Hill said...

I think it's pretty clear: the bottom line is that the fault is with the APA for not realizing this sooner and bringing it before the membership before the reservation was made (just as they failed to let us know about the lack of 2ndary hotels in NYC in December), or at least, had the reservation already been made, this could have been brought up in September, as mentioned on the other website.

More incompetence and a sin against labor to boot. Really, what are we paying these people for? My grandmother could run this better, and she's in the grave.

Anonymous said...

My first time on a panel with the big dogs, and the conference gets boycotted. Awesome.

(1) Joe Hill seems obviously right. Any one of the glassy-eyed business majors in our intro classes with a smidgen of conscience could have foreseen this in September, and made alternate arrangements in time to avoid the nonrefundable airline tickets issue.

(2) For young philosophers who are just starting to get exposure, this is disastrous, particularly if you're on the job market. Take a look at the names that have signed the boycott pledge; some of them are a pretty big deal. None of these people -- and perhaps more people of conscience who didn't sign the pledge -- will be at my talk, guaranteed. (Okay, so the likelihood of them showing up was small anyway, but still...)

(3) Since the chair of my session hasn't decided to move it to USF, and since I'm the little guy on the totem pole, my only possible contribution to the cause of labor -- assuming that I'm not willing to give up the opportunity to be on this panel -- is not to sleep or eat at the Westin St. Francis. This is still significant -- that's ~$800 less for WSF -- but falls short of a total boycott, since I still have to set foot in the damn place if I want to give my paper.

No good options here, as far as I can see.

Anonymous said...

Why should the APA support labor again? Man, the APA is becoming so damn monolithic!