Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fitting in Fitness versus Mothra

A few months ago, I wrote about how I was having trouble finding time making use of my many opportunities to engage in activities that enhance physical fitness. I am happy to report that these problems are behind me. A couple of months ago, I bought a new bicycle, which has served as a generator of enthusiasm about cycling. Since then, I've been getting up at dawn so I can squeeze a ride in before work. Dawn is a good time for several reasons: 1. I wasn't using that time very well before. 2. I don't have to knock off work early, so I don't feel like I'm gypping myself out of time for writing or course prep. 3. I don't get home late, so it doesn't take away from time in the evening that I want to spend with Mrs. Zero.

It seems to me that I look and feel a lot better lately. It is hard to tell what impact it's had on my writing; I've had one of the busiest end-of-semester/start-of-summer-school transitions I can recall, so I haven't been doing much writing lately. Time will tell, I guess.

--Mr. Zero

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you ride to work instead?

Mr. Zero said...

Anon 9:43,

Sadly, no. There's no safe route between home and work. In general, though, I'm a big believer in commuting by bike.

Dan said...

I find exercising around 9 hours after getting up works best. It means I get to relax and recharge my batteries. Also, I work best straight after I get up... I guess people have to do what suits them. I did hear that exercising in the morning can deplete brain blood sugar so reduces brainpower...

zombie said...

My bike was stolen my very first night in Canada last summer. Turns out Canada is not the crime-free paradise I was led to believe it was.

And the roads around here are horrendous for biking -- traffic is insane. Not that I have a bike anymore.

I try to go to the campus sportsplex to ride the stationary bike on my lunch break. So far, the results have not been commensurate with my efforts.

Anonymous said...

943 here again.

Dan,

It's the opposite. Vigorous cardiovascular exercise has been shown to increase blood flow to the brain, which in turn increases your ability to focus and think clearly.

Myself, I usually can't get motivated to work out before the early afternoon (I'm an amateur bodybuilder).

ModalPontiff said...

I believe you, 9:43. I've recently taken up jogging every morning. Now i learn something every day. Usually all i learn is that i really fucking hate running. Cycling is a great deal more fun.

Tor Hershman said...

Methinks that thou wouldst enjoy the TV show Captain Z-Ro.

Yep, datz wha moi thinks.

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor

KateNorlock said...

Aw, I was waiting for neat news about Mothra. Sighted over your neighborhood while cycling?

Rip off.