Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Think Brian Leiter is Mad at Us or Something

Over at Leiter Reports, he's got a thread going about backup plans and alternative options for Ph.D. students who are facing a very bad job market. I left a comment in which I mentioned our thread from a couple weeks ago on this topic, and mentioned some of the backup plans that came up a lot. I guess I thought that since we had such a fruitful discussion, and since way more people read his blog than this one, it would be helpful to let the Leiter Reporters know about it.

Anyways, I thought it was a little weird when he didn't publish the comment. I know he's a pretty serious comment moderator, but I don't think I was being impertinent.

Just thought I'd mention it. No further comment. Nothing more to say.

--Mr. Zero

Update: Professor Leiter sent me an email saying my comment was lost in a spam filter because of the embedded link, and that I should have just asked him what was up.

I guess I should mention that I don't think this is a huge deal. But I thought it was a little odd, so I wrote a quick post it. I'll have some semi-interesting things about the job market and writing philosophy papers soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neo-Aristotelian Law of Net Displacement: Leiter-than-their-content always rises above thought-heavy-Smoker-content--the new theory of Natural Place.

Except for the non-Aristotelian quantitative factor that forms the foundation for the new law: the hit meter.

Anonymous said...

To everyone: it's best to wait a few days before deciding that your comment got rejected by Leiter -- I had a similar experience and had drafted an apologetic querying email when the comment showed up. It just takes a while.

I'll admit to mild amusement that he posted nothing (to my knowledge) about l'affaire du Todd Henderson: I can only imagine how enthusiastically he would have piled on if it had been any other law school...

Anonymous said...

As a norm of collegiality, I do not discuss people I work with in a critical context. In this case, I would not have written about it, even were it not a colleague with whom I have taught, since cyber-mobs, of the right and the left, do not deserve encouragement.

--Brian Leiter

Anonymous said...

In this case, I would not have written about it, even were it not a colleague with whom I have taught, since cyber-mobs, of the right and the left, do not deserve encouragement.

But that would arguably be a worthy point to contribute to the discussion, at least in principle— and in the larger context of the tax policy discussion in which you may or may not take an interest or a side. Your point about collegiality is respectable, of course, but I am a little surprised by the "cyber-mob" comment. Would you see it differently if Prof. Henderson had published his thoughts in, say, the NYT?

And thanks for bothering to reply to what was basically a drive-by...

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Leiter's blog, is anyone else utterly appalled and depressed by the attitude of some of the philosophers on the bedroom interview thread? I mean, what is the state of the philosophy profession if professional philosophers really have no idea that sitting on a bed with bare feet creates a hostile environment for interviewees? I mean, seriously??

All of this makes me think that departments really have no business interviewing candidates. I almost want to turn it over to the HR professionals.