Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Post 2010-11 thread

From Anonymous 12:57 on the PFO thread. They all seemed like good questions and I don't have anything exciting to add. Help out!

As the 2010-11 job market season is now pretty much over, I'm curious to know:

1) If you were offered a job, how much time did the hiring department give you to decide?

2) How did you initially respond when the hiring department called to offer you the position?

3) While some candidates are contenders for multiple, desirable positions, is it increasingly the case that the job you're offered is the only job you're offered? And, if so, is this changing the etiquette/norms governing this stage of the hiring process?

4) If the job you're offered is the one you wanted most, and if you have no competing offer which you can use as leverage for negotiating, how long do you wait before you accept

-- Second Suitor


Anonymous said...

(1) They gave me two weeks, but they knew that I had had two on-campus interviews in the same week and expressed that they might have been willing to wait if I hadn't heard back from the other department within that span of time

(2) I was very happy, and made it clear on the phone that I was very happy. I had a semi-long discussion with the committee member who called with the offer, and I will say that it was difficult not to scream "WOOO HOOOO" in her ear, as my significant other was standing right here, saw the grin on my face, and knew what was going on. We both mostly just wanted to party and probably have some celebratory sex. As much as I like the committee member who called, trying to get off the phone with her so that I could appropriately celebrate was very difficult, because I didn't want to be rude to a potential future colleague (though I imagine any committee member would be understanding of serious celebration in response to a job offer in this market).

(3) I can't answer this because it was my first time on the market

(4) The job I was offered was the one I wanted most out of the two on-campus interviews I had had up to that point. I waited only long enough to sit and really think through whether I would have accepted the other position, if offered, over this one. Once I had fully convinced myself that this was the preferable job anyway, I saw no point in waiting to hear back about the other job. I also reasoned that any outstanding schools which hadn't interviewed on campus yet would not come close to making the 2-week deadline with an offer, and I could only rely on so much patience from this department. If I remember correctly, I ultimately took about a week of the two weeks they gave me to accept the offer.

wv: morrali, as in, "are departments morrali obliged to give you adequate time to make a decision about their offer?"

zombie said...

Reposting from other thread

1) Two weeks is customary. I was given two weeks. I asked for more time because I had been invited for another campus interview. I was given more time.
2) I initially responded by asking for all the details of the offer, asking what was negotiable, and informed them that I had another interview. I was frankly surprised to be getting an offer so early. I also needed to talk to my sig other about it.
3) I don't know. As it turned out, I decided to accept the first offer (which I knew was very good) and withdrew from the other search before the campus visit was finalized, after investigating that position more. (I also inquired of another SC, with whom I had interviewed -- because that was my dream job -- whether I was still a contender there. They gave me a pretty noncommittal answer that indicated to me that I shouldn't hold my breath.)
4) If you don't have a competing offer, the conventional wisdom is that you have no leverage. I don't think it's true that you have NO leverage, but I was told in my case that getting a salary increase would require my having a better offer. I have friends (this year) who negotiated some terms of their contracts with no competing offers.
I accepted after 5 weeks, and after looking more closely at the other position I was in contention for. But as I say in (1), two is customary, although more time can be requested.

But there's no rule that says you have to wait to accept, or that you have to think about it for any specific length of time.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps for a new thread:

For those of you that think the current peer-review system is broken, you may be interested in this: www.sympoze.com

Uncle J said...

This happened last year, but I guess it still counts.

(1) Two weeks.

(2) Basically this: "Great! I'm really pleased. I really like your school. When do you need my decision?" We chatted for a bit longer, and that was that. The first call was that quick. I felt like Anon 8:29: I wanted to get off of the phone so I could jump around and then call my SO.

(3) Don't know anything about this. Not sure why it would change, unless hiring departments get the idea that everyone is getting just one offer. But I'm not sure what that would do.

(4) I was interested in one other position. I got in touch with someone there who'd interviewed me at APA, and told him about my offer. He told me what I needed to know by responding with "Good luck -- I think you'll be happy there."

I talked to offering school on the phone two more times before accepting. I had questions about benefits and so on, and wanted to try to negotiate a few things.

I didn't end up taking the whole two weeks to decide. More like one. My dissertation director told me to wait -- what's the rush, and who knows what might happen -- but offering school was at the top of my list by then, so I accepted after a week.

Anonymous said...

(1) The time from verbal offer (via phone call) to ultimate deadline for responding wound up being 3 to 4 weeks. The time between receiving the written letter of offer and the deadline for responding was something like 10 business days.

(2) With excitement.

(3) I can't speak to trends as it was my first year on the market.

(4) Assuming you are not in the running for any other positions that you would consider taking (and not just that you don't have another offer), you negotiate until you are happy with the terms or at least until you are confident the terms are as good as they are going to get, and then respond to the offer.

Anonymous said...

1) They tried to give me only a week, but I was able to extend that. They would not wait a month for another fly out I had scheduled. (But I think I would have preferred the one I took anyway.)

2) Surprised, I think, because that day I had been expecting a call from a different place I interviewed, where I thought I'd done well. (The other place didn't stick to their schedule, and I didn't get it anyway. I knew I didn't get that one--which I would have slightly preferred, I think--before I accepted my offer.)

3) Don't know for the first. But I still had a fly out scheduled and had been told I was in a very good position for that job. I was able to use that to my advantage, somewhat, in negotiating my contract.

4) I take it you stick to or negotiate a longer deadline for your decision. You play the negotiations by ear and try to get what you need to feel you're valued/will be happy. They're not going to suddenly withdraw the offer without warning, after all.

Anonymous said...

They're not going to suddenly withdraw the offer without warning, after all.

Actually, I've heard of one instance in which the hiring department did precisely that. Apparently, the candidate's prickish behavior after receiving the offer suggested he might not make a good colleague, after all.

Anonymous said...

(1) I was given 2 weeks from the time of the verbal offer; so less than 2 weeks from receiving the offer letter. I was denied an extension. The school knew I had other fly outs and was honest with me about their unwillingness to take any risks in ruining their own search.

(2) I had been told while at the campus interview that I most likely received the position. On the phone call, I responded with genuine enthusiasm and excitement. I expressed this to department and told them I would look forward to getting more information. Though genuinely excited, I told them I needed to discuss the news with my SO and adviser.

(3) I don't seem qualified to answer this question. Though I do believe that had I been granted an extension, I would have received at least one other offer. I was told I was the top candidate at two other schools and had another two interviews beyond that.

(4) I accepted as soon as I knew that I wouldn't be able to follow through with the other fly-outs and their deadlines. This was about 1.5 weeks after the offer.

Anonymous said...

"They're not going to suddenly withdraw the offer without warning, after all."

Also happened to me. Since there was no interview for this postdoc position, and no interaction other than writing to accept the post, I can assure you that any dickish behavior on my part was not part of the problem.