Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Writing a Book

I've been enjoying this thread on how junior people should go about writing a book and acquiring a book contract from a reputable publisher. I especially enjoyed these two comments, from David Chalmers, Peter Ohlin of Oxford UP (U.S.), and Peter Momtchiloff of Oxford UP (U.K.).

My only contribution to this discussion is this: somebody told me once that it is a good idea, when drawing up your book proposal, to indicate who you think they could sell your book to, if they let you write it, and why you think those people would buy it.

Also, when I was in college, I was really into Peter Momtchiloff's side project:



--Mr. Zero

3 comments:

CTS said...

Most publishers will directly ask you to suggest the likely audience; so, your comment is spot on. Also, they will ask you to position your book among others currently published in your area/topic.

WV: undanz. Seems a little pessimistic this early in the semester. :-)

Anonymous said...

"Most publishers will directly ask you to suggest the likely audience; so, your comment is spot on. Also, they will ask you to position your book among others currently published in your area/topic."

Yup. An academic press is reviewing my first book now, and among the sections I had to fill out were:
Intended Audience
Other Audiences of Interest
Competing Books
Significance of Work in its Field

They wanted more words for those sections than they did for my abstract, chapter outline, and selected bibliography.

Anonymous said...

@3:17

Lamentably few people are aware of the German root 'undanz' and its derivative adjective 'undanzig' (pronounce with a soft German 'g'): "We just can't find a singer for our Misfits cover band... everyone we've tried has been so undanzig!"