Would it be possible to have a thread on adjuncting?
Here are some things I'd like to know [enumerated for ease of reference]:
1. How easy is it to obtain an adjuncting job?
2. How easy is it to obtain an adjuncting job that's something like fulltime?
3. With health insurance?
4. How easy is it to obtain an adjuncting job in one's home town?
5. How does one get such a job? I sort of have the idea that you just email the department chair at a particular institution, but maybe that's wrong.
I know some smokers know something about adjuncting that would be helpful to those of us who know very little, and may need to do adjuncting work in the very near future. Maybe a thread on it would be helpful to some of us.
I'm not an expert, but I have opinions about several of these questions:
1. It depends. They're normally not very competitive, though. Your biggest obstacle is probably availability.
2. Not possible. If it were a full time position, it would not be an adjunct position. In order to adjunct full time, you're going to need to have two or three jobs.
4. Depends on the home town.
5. Probably emailing the department chair is the best way. It couldn't hurt.