I'm about to advertise a position (VAP or TT depending upon meeting with administration today), and I'd really like some insight into what works best for folks on the applicant side...
So, questions that I have:
This calls for some constructive advice, don't you think? What's on your wish list, Smokers?
Anyway, much of this info is probably somewhere on the site, but developing a set of best practices from the perspective of job seekers could have a very beneficial effect on the profession.
- Preferable advertisement venues these days? (JFP--but where else?)
- Application materials (best practices, in my day it was letter, reference letters x 3, teaching excellence (evidence of), writing sample, C.V.)
- Application media? What is best? I'm assuming electronic applications via email?
- How about advertisement--what do you want to know that isn't always included? (I've been on senior admin searches where a fairly extensive "position profile) *8-10 pages) is produced describing the institution and the position desiderata), it always seems strange that we limit advertisements to 1 paragraph half of which is identical to all the ads in the JFP.
- Skype vs phone for preliminaries?
- Obviously attention to negative notification is important :)
- Campus visits--what works, what frustrates?
- VAP's vs TT-- differences in applications?